How to prepare for a lifestyle photography shoot
Make a brief
Make your lifestyle photography brief by outlining the intended use of the images required. Think about the message you would like your brand would to convey in the imagery. Include a description or example image of the style you would like to achieve, Pinterest is a great research tool for this. If you are listing on websites such as Not on the high street and ESTY they have some helpful image guidelines available to view here NOTHS and here ETSY.
Make a shot list
Make a shot list, count up the total number of images required, bullet point the content of each image.
Specify the image proportions you require, square landscape or portrait. Images are styled and composed to suit the image ratio you select so this is vitally important.
Image naming is important in helping your product be searchable online. To make the best use of this feature create a word or excel document with the name of each of your products. Use lowercase letters and -hyphens instead of spaces in-between words for the best results.
Request a quote
Email me with your brief to request a quote. If you have any questions for me just ask, I'm happy to help, I offer whole day and half day shoots.
Liaise with me on the prop selection for your shoot. I have a selection of house props available to help accessorise your set.
Purchase any additional required props, allow adequate time for their delivery ahead of the photoshoot. This is the most common cause of delays to the shoots start date.
The image copyright is retained by me and you receive a licence to use the images as required.
Be sure to read the quotes terms and conditions.
Book a date for your shoot
A 50% deposit is required to secure your date. I recommend booking five weeks in advance of your photoshoot to allow time for planning and purchasing props.
Securely deliver your products to me in advance of the actual shoot date, or bring them along if you are attending the shoot.
Choose products that are in perfect condition for the best results eg. clearly printed labels. Small products may be represented larger than life size, so it's vitally important to carefully package your products to reduce any scratching or damage during transit.
On the shoot day
There are a few image approval options to ensure you are as much a part of the shoot as required.
1. Attend the shoot in person.
2. Using your brief and mood-board I work through your shot list and send you a retouched watermarked contact-sheet after the shoot. A send and shoot service.
3. Receive emails throughout the day containing each prepared image for you to approve before I move onto the next image. This method is appropriate for highly styled images when shooting 8 images per day. Extra time is allocated in the quote to allow for this process. It's best to schedule a day in your diary when you are readily available.
4. A remote Zoom shoot, receive a zoom link to the shoot but only be alerted when an image is ready for discussion. See the images arrive in my capture software as I share my screen with you, communicate via your audio only. This method is appropriate for highly styled images when shooting 8 images per day. Extra time is allocated in the quote to allow for this process. It's best to schedule a day in your diary when you are readily available.
5. Remote Zoom shoot, Art direct the shoot remotely in real time throughout the day.
A digital watermark will be used on all low res images emailed for approval.
After the shoot is complete
After the shoot the images are cleaned up to remove any dust and imperfections then they are cropped to your specification. Generally the retouching is booked in for the day after the shoot meaning a fast turnaround time for reciving your lovely new images.
I email you a watermarked contact sheet of the final images along with your invoice.
Once the invoice is paid your images are delivered to you via a We Transfer download link. You are ready to use your new imagery to promote your brand.
You may arrange the collection of your products with your courier, or I can return them to you via royal mail special delivery, this cost will be added to your invoice.